Google

Sunday, September 18, 2011

NPR: Obama is like Jesus

Speaking of Faith. NPR's Frank James has a faith encounter of sorts when he draws an overworked parallel between Obama and Jesus Christ. The context of this NPR sponsored moment of inspiration came after an appearance by Obama at North Carolina State in Raliegh North Carolina. While at the venue, Mr. Obama told a crowd of cheering supporters "if you love me — if you love me, you got to help me pass this ("jobs") bill. If you love me, you got to help me pass this bill." The clarion call to "pass this bill" somehow, resonated with Mr. James. It was, an epiphany. Or as Yoda would say, "An epiphany, it was."
At the rally, a supporter shouted out to the President, "I love you Barack!" "I love you back." the President said, accompanied by the exhuberant applause of the crowd. "But first, if you love me — if you love me, you got to help me pass this bill."

From that brief exchange at a political pep rally, Mr. James draws this tortured parallel to Jesus addressing Peter, one of his disciples by the Sea of Galillee after His Resurrection. Mr. James quotes a passage from the Gospel of John 21:15 in the NIV (New International Version) translation of the New Testament.

John 21: 15 When they had finished eating, Jesus said to Simon Peter, “Simon son of John, do you love me more than these?”
“Yes, Lord,” he said, “you know that I love you.”

Jesus said, “Feed my lambs.”

I don't know whether to feel embarrassment for Mr. James, for drawing such a clumsy analogy between a Chicago Pol-turned-President on the stump and the Son of the Living God, or take this as yet another sign of the end-times.

BTW, for the benefit of Mr. James, Jesus is addressing Peter in the passage you quoted to reinstate him in his position as a leader in what will become His Church, not encourage Peter to pass a "jobs" bill.

I expect that in the not-too-distant future, NPR will be telling us that Mr. Obama IS the Christ, rather than Mr. Obama is like Christ.

I have provided a video clip from the event for the benefit of ye' of little faith.

No comments: